after the Long Hiatus

|

Last time I went back to Malaysia was in July 2009, but due to the economic down turn and recessions that hit, wiped and smashed all business sectors and organizations globally, May 1 was the first business trip to Malaysia that I had since May 2009. Sherif sent me to the Al Nouzha Airport at 18:18 hours. I did not ask for ‘Meet and Assist’ (M&A), but, Mohamed Mostafa of PICL E’s Admin was very proactive enough in arranging one. Somehow, there was miscommunication between them! Basem, the M&A representative was waiting for me at the arrival lounge because he thought that I am arriving from Doha. Anyway, the check-in and the immigration process was very smooth, partly due to less passengers. There were only four including me in the First Class cabin though, hence the focused attention and pampering by the cabin crew.
I was actually not feeling well that day – mainly caused by the abdominal upset. Well, Alhamdulillah, Allah swt with His Grace and Mercy had given me mental strength to overcome the situation. At 19:37 hours, we performed the congregation prayer of Maghrib and ‘Isya at the departure lounge despite the boarding call. Well, we knew it very well….this is Egypt. We were ushered to another bus which was similar in nature. No comments!
My thought was wrong; my past experience flying Qatar Airways from Alexandria to Doha was horrible! I mean to be fair to them, the plane itself. The service, however, was excellent. But now, their effort in face-lifting the asset is commendable. The seats were more comfortable and spacious.
To cut that boring part short; we finally arrived ahead of the scheduled time by 15 minutes. The taxing, however, dragged us a little bit. Anyway, we arrived at the Premium Lounge at 23:35 hours. One of the ground crew (a Nepalese I think?!) as usual doing their routine, kindly stopped me, politely requested for my boarding pass, glanced through it for about 20 seconds (at the boarding pass off course!) and ushered me to the transfer counter. While leading me to the counter, she told me; “Sir, since your transit time is more than 6 hours at night, you are entitled to check-in at our hotel – all on Qatar Airway’s account.” I thanked her. I did not expect that arrangement. A day before that, well, in fact that morning, our Administration Executive, Sameh Said, had put his best efforts liaising with Qatar Airways through our travel agent – Astra Travel in Cairo on that matter. They failed! I mean we were informed that, the Airline does not provide that kind arrangement!
She contacted her colleague at another counter and called the COBUS Driver to send me to the transfer terminal. There were relatively many people obediently waited their turn in the queue. Anyway, due to the efficiency of the service and perhaps the high level of competencies of the staff, we were ushered to the hotel – Movenpick Tower and Suite, Doha’s Coaster within 40 minutes. We finally arrived at the hotel after 15 minutes drive along the coast line of the Gulf. That was it! Oops…by the way, we were provided with Dinner and free refreshment – only soft drink and fresh juices please!. Thanks Qatar Airway.

0 comments: