ESNCairo5::Masjid & Madrasah Umm Sultan Sha'aban

|

Our next stop was Madrasah and Masjid Umm Sultan Sha’ban, which was built in 1368 by Sultan Sha’ban for his mother, Khwand Baraka literally means Lady Blessing, while on making her pilgrimage to Makkah. It was originally built as a Madrasah or religious school to teach the two sects (ahlul sunnah wa Jamaah) of the four recognized sects, the Shafi’ie and the Hanafi.
The above photo was taken from the south side of tomb Ibrahim Khalifa Gindiyan, seconds after I arrived on the south-east side of the Madrasah. Well, actually I was a little bit tired, sweating and a little bit dehydrated. Hence, a brief stop under the shady ficus tree abundantly planted along the street.

The main feature of this fortress-like façade of the Madrasah cum Masjid is the grand entrance and the forty-five-degree turn of the rear part of the building. While exploring the surrounding, a kind old man (on the further left of the below photo) voluntarily guided me around with his sign language. With the local bread or aish on his hand, he asked me (of course with sign language) to shoot the Ayyubid Minaret that is partly hidden by an old building sand witched by the tomb of Ibrahim Khalifa Gindiyan and the house of Ibrahim Agha Mustahfizan.

Before I moved on, I captured the close up of the kind man for my collection – the faces of Egypt. He did not ask any tips or whatsoever from me, but as the courtesy and kind of gesture to say thank you him, I spared some EGP to him, which he immediately ran to the a small café across the Madrasah quenching his thirst with the local Egyptian tea.

0 comments: